Surviving Calaguas Islands
The Calaguas is located in the Philippine province of Camarines Norte. It includes the major islands of Tinaga Island and Guintinua Island, the minor Maculabo Island, as well as several other minor islands.
Most of the islands are under the administrative jurisdiction of Vinzons, Camarines Norte, while the minor island of Maculabo is under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Paracale, Camarines Norte. Recently, the island of Tinaga where the famous long beach called Mahabang Buhangin is located is experiencing influx of tourists in the area despite the absence of accommodation. Campers and backpackers are visiting to experience its powdery white sand.
How to get there
During our visit to Calaguas Islands, we opted a package tour and everything was organized for us, from Manila-Paracale van rental and vice versa to Paracale Port-Calaguas Islands boat transfers. There are lots of sources from the internet how to get there, if you decided to Do-it-Yourself (DIY), I gathered them for your indulgence.
- Lakwatsero – A much-appreciated effort of compiling most options how to get to Calaguas Islands. Updated as of February 22, 2016
- CalaguasLocal – A local tour guide/accommodation organization which empowers locals through tourism.
Where to Stay
If you opt to avail a local guide, accommodation is usually already included. There are also resorts that offer better accommodation like Waling Waling Resort.
Cabaña P3,500/night (Max. 4 pax) and Kubol P6,500/night (max 6 pax).
For camping enthusiasts, the entrance fee is P150 per person and P100 pesos for tent space fee. Cottages are also available for at least P500.
- Snorkeling – Bring your own gear
- Island hopping
- Beach hopping
What to Bring
- Cash, identification card and ATM card
- Protective sunglasses
- Sunscreen lotion with maximum SPF
- Insect Repellent
- Hat for sun protection
- Water shoes & Flip Flops
- Snorkeling Gear
- Board shorts / rash guards
- Casual clothing/ t-shirts (lots)
- Windbreakers / light weight jackets
- Beach bag/ zip lock
- Prescription drugs/ medications
- Personal hygiene and toiletry items
- Camera with chargers; extra batteries
- Mineral water
Sample 3D/2N Itinerary
I decided to include the itinerary of Best Calaguas Tour packages which we saw and talk to some of their employees during our stay. They have very friendly staff and has the commitment to deliver the best possible experience for their clients.
You can visit http://www.bestcalaguastour.com/ for more details.