Recently, I encountered an issue that videos from external drive must be played or accessible to web server. This is the first time that I’ve heard about this problem but, I already said that I think it is possible. I just need to do some research about this. I saw Apache Alias and it seems that it might be the answer so I dig a little deeper and was able to use it to solve this issue.
Here is a sample scenario:
1. Videos are saved outside web directories. Example: /home/user/Videos
2. Videos needs to be accessed through http://hostname/videos
Here are the things I made to address the above issues:
- Edited /opt/lampp/etc/httpd.conf by adding the following at the end of the file. httpd.conf location might be different if you are using other web server and OS.
Alias /videos "/home/user/Videos" <Directory "/home/user/Videos"> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride None Order allow,deny Allow from all Require all granted </Directory>
- Run the following command to create symbolic link
ln -s /home/user/Videos /opt/lampp/htdocs/videos
- Run the following command to add access rights to other users like the www-data.
sudo chmod o+x /opt/lampp/htdocs/videos -R sudo chmod o+x /home/user/Videos -R